If you were registered and logged in, you could join this project.
Narrate is an advanced monitoring platform that has been designed from the ground up to support the monitoring of any service through the use of plugins. Narrate is also robust in its ability because its notification methods are also plugin based. The team has already produced Notification plugins for sending alert emails, Jabber Instant Messaging, and to insert the event into a JDBC compliant database.
What is the goal of this project?
The narrate team would like to create a project that allows even the most flexible, robust and easy to use monitoring platform. It will do so by creating a core product that allows infinite customization. The project should ultimately become the log4j or monitoring services.
Narrate is written in Java and uses a number of open source libraries including Apache Commons-configuration and Oro packages, the standard Java mail library provided by Sun and a few others. We welcome the submission of new plugins and will be providing documentation on writing plugins soon.
What is the scope of this project?
The goal is to create a monitoring platform that allows the utmost flexibility with a minimum amount of needed customization. The team is committed to making this project successful and robust as it is needed by all of us every day.
What are high-level features you are sure to build?
Use the issue tracker to track features and enhancement
requests. It is not just for bugs, pre-populate it with feature
descriptions so that potential contributors know what you would like them
to work on.
- Plugin Based Monitoring
- Managed Configuration and threading model
- No Database required, all required data stored in an XML File.
- Comprehensive set of useful plugins out of the box.
What are the high-level assumptions or ground rules for the project?
- We will be writing all code in Java 1.4 and higher.
- Developers must understand multi-threading.
- We want to avoid making this system to complex. Everything that can be a plugin should be a plugin.
- There are lots of Monitoring services out there, however, they all require huge amounts of setup, infrastruture, and technical knowledge. Narrate is at its core a very simple system. It is designed to simple and its maintainer will make sure it stays simple.
- At first all the contributers will be the early users of this project. In the future we would look towards corporate users of the project to continue its growth, maitenence and plugin development.